Except as hereinafter provided, no person, firm, corporation, association or partnership shall commence the construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, removal, relocation or demolition of any building or structure or any portion thereof, or install a solid fuel burning heating appliance, chimney or flue in any dwelling unit without first having obtained a permit from the Code Enforcement Officer.
No permit shall be required for:
1. Construction or installation of one-story detached structures associated with one or two-family
dwellings or multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) which are used for tool and storage sheds,
playhouses, or similar uses, provided the gross floor area does not exceed 144 square feet.
2. Installation of fences which are not part of an enclosure surrounding a swimming pool.
While a building permit is not required for non-swimming pool fences, there are other laws to
3. Roofs, provided that the framing and anything structural remains unchanged and is not replaced.
4. Construction of retaining walls unless such walls support a surcharge or impound Class I, II, or IIIA
5. Installation of window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a one or two-family dwelling or
multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses).
6. Installation of partitions or movable cases less than 5 ft. 9 in. in height.
7. Painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, or other similar finish work.
8. Installation of listed portable electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation or cooling equipment or
9. Replacement of any equipment provided the replacement does not alter the equipment's listing or
render it inconsistent with the equipment's original specifications.
10. Repairs, provided that such repairs do not involve:
a. The removal or cutting away of a load bearing wall, partition, or portion thereof, or of any
structural beam or load bearing component.
b. The removal or change of any required means of egress, or the rearrangement of parts of a
structure in a manner which affects egress.
c. The enlargement, alteration, replacement or relocation of any building system.
d. The removal from service all or part of a fire protection system for any period of time.